Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Part II: You Really Do Need a Backup Plan

The only reason I knew about the hurricane is because the hotel had the weather channel on in the hotel lobby.

Luckily, months before I had given into my instincts and decided to be more open about the back-up plan. It was important that everyone’s time, money, and energy not go to waste. We wanted to honor our guests by protecting our special day as best we could. Also, discussing the worst-case scenarios with my planners and knowing that they were prepared for the unexpected made me feel more confident.

Feeling self-assured was an especially helpful state of mind to be in when I overheard the bits about the hurricane. Luckily, through the magic of our ancestors, the weather held and there was neither a drop of rain nor hint of wind. The lighting was complex and perfect. It totally matched the tone of our venue and the photographs were ethereal, sultry, and classic – truly capturing our happiness ‘sigh.’

In retrospect, I realized that thinking of a back-up plan is a natural and really necessary part of planning. It makes sense to seek comfort in those things that will ensure your wedding happens no matter what. As they say in the theater, "the show must go on!"


No comments:

Post a Comment